A step-by-step guide to starting your WordPress (WP) site on SiteGround hosting.
Launching the WordPress site is easy, but if you’ve never done it then you may have hundreds of questions, and this article will help you with that. By the end of this tutorial, you will have fast loading functional WordPress site.
Are you still confused about choosing between WordPress and others?
Well, you are not the only one. We often get confused when we have multiple options. Let me help you with that.
What’s your primary goal to launch a site? If any of the below then trust me WordPress will do the job.
- Starting a blog
- Creating a personal page
- Building a news or magazine site
- Thinking about corporate page
- Planning to start a membership site
- Ready to sell online
Do you know WordPress powers 26.5% of Alexa top 1 million sites?
Yes, WordPress is very popular. Thanks to its community and plugins/themes ecosystem. You won’t go wrong in choosing WP.
Why SiteGround Hosting?
There are hundreds of hosting provider in the market, but very few are considered good. SiteGround is in one of the top 5 hosting providers who are often recommended by an industry expert. And not just expert but WordPress.org officially recommend SiteGround.
They are known for using the latest speed technologies and faster hardware to deliver optimal performance. Some of them are following.
- PHP7 – why use PHP5 when you can use the latest version? It is ~50% faster in execution.
- HTTP/2 – take advantage of the latest HTTP protocol to optimize content delivery. Its two times faster than HTTP/1.1. Check Akamai demo to see yourself.
- CDN – one-click to enable FREE Cloudflare CDN.
- SuperCacher – cache static and dynamic content to serve the requests faster.
Along with the above, you get all other following features you can expect from a hosting provider.
- Backup – when nothing works, the backup does. Backup is automatically taken daily, but you can always take on-demand if needed.
- Developer toolkit – WP-CLI, SSH, phpMyAdmin, SFTP, Git
- Staging site – it’s essential to have a staging site so you can test all the changes and once happy, push to production.
- Email – spam-free emails for your domain.
Security and Uptime
99.99% uptime – their DevOps teams ensure servers availability, capacity, and uptime.
Anti-bot – an AI-based system to stop brute-force attempts to protect your site’s resources and make available all the time.
Updates – don’t bother about updating WordPress manually. Its taken care automatically.
Custom firewall – a powerful WAF (web application firewall) to protect your site from WordPress and common vulnerabilities on the server level.
Why host in the USA when your audience is in Europe or Asia? SiteGround got four data centers in three regions.
- Singapore – choose to host here if you expect visitors from India and rest of Asia.
- Amsterdam – good for the UK and rest of Europe
- London – much better for the UK and of course Europe and Russia
- Chicago – for North America, South America, and Africa
Here is the IP address of all the regions so you can do a ping test to find out what works better from your location.
There are three main plans so choose what suits your requirement.
If you are just staring the blogging or personal page, then startup plan would be sufficient. You can always upgrade the plan, and they offer 30-days money back guarantee. So no risk in trying out, yeah!
I hope by now you are confident about choosing SiteGround. Let me quickly show you how you to get the WP site running.
Getting SiteGround Plan
To demonstrate in this guide, I will choose a StartUp plan which cost $3.95 per month.
Go to SiteGround and click on get plan. It will prompt you two options.
- Register a New Domain – if you don’t have any domain name then select this. This would add domain cost.
- I already have a Domain – select this if you already have bought a domain from GoDaddy, Namecheap or other registrars.
To keep this guide simple, I’ve selected to register a new domain called geekflaresg.com
Enter your personal and payment details to purchase the plan. Once success, you should see the confirmation about account creation.
Proceed to customer area, and you will see set up your site wizard.
- Select a new website (if you are transferring then select transfer a website)
- Select WordPress to install
- Enter WordPress credential details and click confirm
Confirm your setting and click on complete setup
It will take a few seconds to set up, and you will get a confirmation that the account is ready to use.
Congratulations! The site is live now.
Don’t go away, yet. Let’s do some necessary configuration for better security and performance.
SiteGround offer free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate and its recommended to turn it on.
- Login to SiteGround and go to My Accounts tab
- Click on Go to cPanel (red button)
- Scroll down to the security section and click Let’s Encrypt
- Choose HTTPS Settings under Action drop-down
- Turn on for HTTPS enforce and External Links Rewrite and click OK
By turning on both options, you instruct SiteGrond server to load your site only over HTTPS. Now, if you hit the URL, it will redirect to https
Do you see the green padlock and it starts with https?
That’s the indication that the site is secure with the certificate.
Creating an Email Accounts
Cool to have [email protected] Isn’t it?
You can create an unlimited email.
On cPanel, scroll down to MAIL section a click Email Accounts
Enter the email and password you would like to create and click Create Account
You are wondering, how to access your emails?
You have an option to either access the email through a web browser or configure in an email client like Outlook; Windows live, MacOS mail, etc. You will find those options if you click on More drop-down next to your email.
Login to WordPress Admin
Excited to log in to the WP admin?!
WP Admin is accessible by adding /wp-admin to your site. For example – I would be accessing https://your-domain-name.com/wp-admin
- Enter the credential which you’ve defined during setup
- After login, you will get warm WordPress starter page.
If you are familiar with WordPress, then you may exit here which will take you to the admin console. But, if you want to install some theme and essential plugins then click Start Now and choose the one you want.
You will notice there is a plugin already installed by SiteGround called SG Optimizer. It’s a fantastic plugin to optimize your site for better performance and security.
Let’s explore that…
- Click on SG Optimizer on the left navigation panel
- On Supercacher Settings, ensure dynamic caching, and automatic purge cache is turned on
- On the Environment Optimization tab, you can enable GZIP compression, browser caching, enable HTTPS and change the PHP version to the latest one.
- Frontend optimization helps you to optimize content delivery. I don’t see issues in enabling the following but combining resources may cause an issue with other plugins.
- Minify the HTML Output
- Minify CSS files
- Remove query string from static resources
- Disable Emojis
- Turn on new image optimization on image optimization tab
That’s a lot of features from a free plugin.
I would strongly recommend enabling Cloudflare if looking to enhance performance and security. This is doable by going to Cloudflare under Site Improvement Tools on cPanel.
It is easy!
How fast is SiteGround WordPress site?
There is no one answer as it depends on the theme and plugin you use — the data you have and so on.
Good luck with your site!